Top Monthly Home Cleaning Tips
Even when it looks clean, our house often has a few corners that could use some more attention. No matter how hard we try, there is always one last cupboard, one last vent, or one last item on the ever-growing list of things to do and clean that we wish we had the time or energy to get to.
Monthly home cleaning schedules are a great way to help stay focused, and to break the overwhelming task into more manageable sections that we can fit within our day to day. Tips and tricks are also great. Finding an easier and quicker way to get the job done is never a bad thing.
Some of the top monthly home cleaning tips are:
- Clean your air vents and fan covers. One of the most boring house cleaning tasks is dusting, and there is a way to help cut down on the amount of time spent doing it. Replacing air filters regularly and washing vent and fan covers will help to drastically cut down on the amount of dust swirling around your home, and in the long run, save you time dusting. Not to mention that this will also help cut back on the allergens floating around your home too.
- Clean smudged windows with newspaper. Yes, with newspaper. Crumpled up sheets of newspaper work wonders on dingy windows, and are a great way to reuse something that you would otherwise discard. Crumple the sheets individually into a loose ball and start scrubbing. The newspaper will pull off any greasy residue or dust, leaving behind a shiny window free of streaks and smudges.
- Pick a closet or cupboard every month to go through and clean. This goes for drawers, too! We all have the tendency to pile things up in closets and cupboards, and before you know it, it is an avalanche waiting to happen. Solve the problem of major clean ups by picking one cupboard or closet that you go through every month. Put them into rotation, and you will notice a big change in the amount of time you spend sorting them out each time.
- Sprinkle baking soda on carpets and furniture to help deodorize them. One of the best home cleaning tools found in most every home is baking soda. Baking soda is one of the most versatile cleaning tools and can be lightly sprinkled on smelly carpets and fabric furniture to help lift odors out of the fibers. Leave in place for one hour or more, and then vacuum. You will be amazed at how easy it is, and how well it works.
- Clean your furniture. We always sweep the floors, vacuum the carpets, and wipe down the counters, but we often forget about the furniture. Every month, spend some time to dust the furniture, wash cushion covers, and vacuuming out the crevasses of your sofa. You might even find some cash hidden in there!
- Deep clean the bathtub and shower while you are in them. Sounds weird, but it really makes sense. Take some time to really scrub the corners of the shower or tub while you are still in it and save yourself some time on the clean up. Wipe down the ceiling and walls, and give the grout and calking along the tiles and seams of your shower some attention too. Use the showerhead to rinse away any residue or debris. Might as well get it all done at once!
But the most important home cleaning tip of all is not to let things pile up! One of the most common mistakes with housework is that we tend to tell ourselves that we will just “get to it next time”. We all know that next time we won’t suddenly be more enthusiastic to do it, so it is important to just power through, get it done, and have it be in the past.
Build these tips and tricks into a schedule, and you will be done in no time. Remember, repetition builds routine, and with a routine, you can more easily fit the cleaning you need to get done into your calendar. Also, do not be afraid to ask for help. Get others in your household to help. Work together on larger tasks and get everyone involved.